Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Sweet tooth

I've got a sweet tooth.  And I used to begin feeding it first thing in the morning with a short stack of chocolate chip pancakes.  I remember the day I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, how I thought my diagnosis meant no more sugar for me.  Ever.  And a sense of panic set in.  People, my health was in a precarious state, and I was concerned that a Crave cupcake would never again cross my lips.

Before learning how to manage Type 1 diabetes and understanding what this diagnosis meant and what it didn't, I determinedly eliminated all added sugar from my diet, relegated desserts to special occasions like birthdays or weddings.  And I felt great.  Empowered.  Energetic.  Those desserts that I allowed myself on special occasions even tasted better than I remembered.

Nowadays I'm still going (mostly) without refined sugar.  But it's not because I'm passing on dessert.  I'm learning to tweek favorite recipes and discover new ones, like this basic chocolate cake recipe from Heidi over at 101 cookbooks.  I substituted maple agave for the maple syrup and skipped the frosting.  And Dexcom showed a nice flat line during and after my indulgence.

Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment